Saturday, March 6, 2010

Book Challenge: Week 9 Book 10


Ok...I admit it. I read Harry Potter this week. After years of hearing the Christian Controversy surrounding this book....and not banning it from my kids...but NOT adding it to their reading lists, I decided to read it. My opinion...ummmmm...well it seemed to be a little like a watered down Roald Dahl, mixed with a bit of Lemony Snickett and not so well written. I still won't add it to my kids reading lists, but I really DO NOT GET why all the uproar. After reading some of the Ancient Great Books that are totally encouraged in any classical studies...including Christian Classical studies, this book is just so tame. It was cute. You like Harry. You like his little band of friends. It definitely had a good verses evil theme with good winning. Maybe if they were hobbits instead of wizards that would be ok? I think my 7 year old would probably really like this book...but my 11 year old would probably roll her eyes. She would rather read Grimms at this point. So, after years of avoiding Haryy, I find him harmless and somewhat cute.

No comments: