Friday, January 7, 2011

Week in review 1/7/11 Back to the Books....Ummmmm....sort of

This was our first week back to school since my mother passed away.  We did have some lessons here and there,  but nothing formal or in depth.  We read lots and cried lots and tried to pick up all our pieces...BUT,  now is a New Year,  and it is time to get back to a new normal.  I am not sure if we are behind or ahead in our studies and I refuse to go there.  we are where we are,  and I think my children are making a nice progress forward.

We have had some setbacks this year.  My mom passing on was a big one.  Elvis also was battling the effects from a bad case of Lyme disease. Lyme really kicked his butt.  School for him was put on hold per doctors orders. Swimming took a back seat,  then he got back in the pool...within a week he received an injury that put him out for 2 more weeks.    Thank goodness he is almost done with his High School requirements...so he has some play room. Dh has begun to take him to work and train him on HVAC equipment.  Hubby is thrilled with how fast he catches on and how interested he is in all they do.  Our customers LOVE him!   Dr. Kazam is taking a year off of swimming to persue other interests and has joined an art class and a dance class.  She is in LOVE with dance.

So,  Now for our week in review.
Sunday,  Daddy and the boys went up to our ski house (aka a little cabin in the woods) and built a set of steps going down into the man cave (aka ...the cellar)  The boys have been working on changing the cellar into a man cave...no girls allowed except Moms and girls that bring snacks.  So far,  they have set up a lego table,  my out door furniture works as a livingroom,  one of our customers gave the boys an old style flat screen TV and a small fridge.  Daddy stocked it food and drinks.  The game box is set up...

and now....they have a set of stairs.  Daddy taught Elvis how to make the stringers and the risers. Lots of angles and math.  Elvis got to work and made them perfectly!  In the meanwhile Daddy cut out the floor of the closet upstairs and  moved the wall forward.  Several hours later and a couple of tired boys....and stairs!!!  The man cave can now be accessed without putting on our boots,  trudging through the snow and climbing through the bilco's


Monday was book work day.  let's just say it took ALL day!  The boys just were not into the swing of doing what they were told.  I showed them my badge and read them their rights....

In Bible this week we studied the early church,  the conversion of Paul, The healing of Dorcas  and the baptism of Cornelius.























This week we covered David Livingstone in SOTW 4.  The kids were really fascinated by his adventures.  We are also reading about Nathaniel Bowditch and I am fascinated by this autodidactic man.  I am always fascinated by self taught people and desire to be like them.  I desire my children to be like them. 




Hammy started CLE Reading Level 200 and finished 3 stories.  We use the light units,  but we do them mostly orally...thus covering 2 lessons per day.

He also finished 3 math lessons (like pulling teeth!)  and 3 LA lessons.

Cubby is continuing in CLE level 300 Reading and has completed LU 301 this week.

I am always amazed at how much my kids love these stories in these readers.  I always steered clear of readers,  but the stories in these are so sweet,  character builing without being preachy or guilt inducing,  and so age and maturity appropriate.  the reading lessons go well beyond just plain comprehension and teach the children to think deeply about what they read.  I think this reading program is as close to CM in a workbook as I can get....BUT,  we do most of this orally and in conversation.  I will many times write in their workbooks so they can see what the answers in the books should look like.  I especially like the questions which lead to narrative answers  The answers are so much more thoughtful and in depth than if I would have them write them out. 

Cubbly also finished LU 208 in math and his LU in Language Arts.  He needs to review his spelling words as this weeks were kind of difficult.

Dr. Kazam is plodding along in her subjects.  She also finished LU 's this week.  She finished LU 604 in math...needing a bit of help in finding percentages of numbers.  She finished LU 701 in Language Arts which is now getting into some pretty serios diagramming.  We also started Kilgallon's Sentence Composing for Elementary Grades. 



We just dipped our toes in this one,  and so far it is very easy....and I hate the way they  use the word chunking...blah!

Today was a snow day....we finished 4 pretty full days of school...so today we allowed ourselves to play...outside...in the snow!  It was fun!




And now to finish off the week with a good Wii Sports championship and a vodka and cranberry in my
Lucy Van Pelt coffee mug!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Sounds like you had a good reintroduction to school this week. I have not experienced the death of a parent, but I'm sure it is one of the most difficult things. I helped my bf walk through losing her dad last year. I enjoyed reading about your week!

Faith said...

So sorry about you mother's passing.

And the lyme's sounds hard too. It sounds like you really are moving forward and doing so much!

I, too, love nathaniel bowditch.