Friday, November 11, 2011

Week in review 11/7-11/11

So...this week went weird.  Hahha.
I finally decided...again...that it doesn't make for a happy homeschool to try to do more than one program with my kids.  I know some people have time and energy for that...but I do NOT!

I decided to drop Heart of Dakota with my boys and fold them into dd's Sonlight Core W.  They both use the same spine,  so the switch was relatively seamless.  The boys didn't even notice...lol.




We have been enjoying reading and narrating from these books.  They give DD 13 a good easy intro to the topic of the week.  This week we learned about the Greeks and the Spartans.  We also learned bout the first Olympic games.  I am teaching the boys to write simple 1 or 2 sentence narrations.  I am also teaching the to write simple outlines using the Usborne book.
DD has been using Patterns of Civilization by Prentice Hall.  It is an extremely readable and dare I say enjoyable textbook.  My dd likes textbooks as research tools.

This book is adding depth to her studies and  more age/grade appropriate.   She is enjoying it and using it for info for her NaNoWriMo novel.  She is writing,  writing,  writing.  Her story is based in Ancient Greece...and she has already written about 150 pages!  

My kids are moving along n their CLE studies.  All the children have almost finished their years worth of Reading already.  Grace and Cubby have 1 Light Unit left,  so should be done by Christmas.  Hammy has already finished both 2nd grade readers and is now in the 3rd grade reader.  The kids all absolutely love this series of books and remember the stories years later.  My dd always talks to the boys about he stor they are up to...and how much she loved them.  Can't beat that!!!!

We are moving along in math.  My boys have begun the new Life of Fred Elementary books.  Hammy read through Apples in 2 days!  He loved it!  Cubby worked through Butterflies over a week.

 
Cubby has now moved into Cats and Hammy into Butterflies.
Gracie is using Pre- Algebra with Biology....and will move into Pre Algebra with Economics After Christmas.  Math is not her strong subject....using LOF makes it fun.  CLE gives lots of practice.  Love the combination. 




In science,  we have begun using Lyrical Life Science volume 1.  The kids find he songs catchy and dd is actually enjoying it.  We have not had much luck finding science curricula that she enjoys...or will tolerate.  After suffering through one program after another,  she found this one on the shelf and asked to try it.  I really didn't think she would like it,  but of course didn't tell her that!  Surprise!  Surprise!!!!  She loves it.  The boys love the songs,  so I have decided to just get books and other go-alongs for their age.  She is usinng the text and the workbook.  I won't require that from them,  but have been adding other coloring pages and simple kids books from the library. HOORAY!!!!!  Science is getting done.  That makes me a happy Mom.

Soccer season is almost over.  Boys loved it.
DD was cast in the play Footloose in her drama classes and is thrilled,  even though it is just a backround part.  She likes the idea that she will get some dance lessons as part of her involvement. 

Anyway...it's been a busy,  but productive weel...and thus ends our first quarter of the 2011-2012 school year.

~~FAITHE

No comments: