Monday, December 19, 2011

Mom of the Year: NOT

I am not feeling like the Mom of the Year....in fact, I Amy not be in the running for quite a while.
Today, Elvis went in for his annual eye exam... 2 years past due....with a complaint that he could not focus well...and he was seeing in duplicate and quadruplicate( is that a word?). Doctor H gave him a good exam, knowing that Elvis had/has Lyme Disease.
His exam shows Neurological Palsy and optical nerve damage. Prognosis...?????
This was probably caused by Lyme...you know that disease...which isn't really real....which only needs some doxycycline and you become in the class known as "adequately treated".

So, I am sending his pediatrician...who decided he was " adequately treated", his report while I do some research and try and find a doctor who can REALLY adequately treat him.

So, here we are, almost 3 years into this battle....with some wins and other losses...
So far or wins are good....he is out of bed and doing something daily, he has gained some weight, he is not depressed anymore....

Our losses: he is still in pain in his joints ....especially his elbow and wrists....he is having sleep issues, wired but tired....he has no appetite.....he still can't study, and he has lost a good portion of what he already learned in high school.

So, the bad mom award goes to me...for not being aggressive enough in his treatment, for not being forceful enough to insist on IV antibiotic treatments earlier, for believing his body would fight to get well if I gave him enough good food and vitamins...for not listening to the little voice in my head that said we should treat more aggressively.

And now, We go on to the fight of our lives....to live Lyme Free and healthy....2012 is our year to get well....
Faithe

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

You are NOT a bad Mom. Lyme is one of the greatest challenges of this century in every way, not the least of which is diagnosis and treatment. Hang in there, praying for you guys.

Faithe said...

Thanks Lizzie. I am feeling very frustrated....Carl, on the other hand...is calm as can be...and very matter of fact about his treatment. Got his glasses ordered today...lined up a new neurologist...and hopefully have an idea of a new Lyme doc in the works. Also, I have my favorite college student on vacation coming to help in the office for 6 weeks of her break....so, I can focus on getting all his meds and appointments lined up. God is good...and I know He will guide our steps. Thanks for your post...and your support. I really appreciate it.
~~Faithe