Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 20. Mindful of the Mundane.

Today, practice living in the present---not in fast forward or reverse.  Do one mundane job with your full attention.  When you pay attention in your daily life, whatever you do becomes transformed.  Step 1.  Sit still for a few minutes before beginning the next activity on your To Do list.  Focus on your breathing.  When you feel calm, centered, and grounded, turn your attention to your task.  Next, walk slowly to the site of your task.  Step 2.  Now do the job slowly and deliberately.  Perform this act as if it were your last.  Step 3.  When mental and physical distraction arise, remind yourself to refocus.  If the interruption is about something you must do later---such as calling the plumber---write it down and return to your chore.  (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 131)


OR for serious simplifiers only...

Sign up for a week-long retreat that requires you to be silent.  A week of silence will be one of the most renewing weeks of your life.  (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 135)


I like the mundane. I like the simple. I like putting myself into a mindless task and making it mindful. I like folding laundry and praying for every child as I fold their socks and undies and shirts and pants. I like cutting up veggies and fruit. I like washing the floor and making it shine when my back is in good order. I like the methodical work of weeding the garden. I like hanging clothes our on the line one piece at a time...clip by clip. I find it very spiritual to be engrossed in the simple activities of the day. Our culture is so rush ....rush...rush...get it done...NOW! In it's mentality. This is hard for me. The rush for production seem almost anti-productive. The more I try to go faster...the more my feet slip.

Being a homeschooling mom, there is always a long lists of needs.to.be.done. Academics, housework, spiritual and moral training, meals, yard work, laundry. There are books to be read...there are groceries to be bought...lessons to be planned meals to be cooked. There are emergencies to tend to..boo boos to kiss...swings to push and heinies to wipe. It is never ending....which is also a mantra in itself. Gott get it done.
When we embrace the day to day..the simple...the rote...it becomes meaningful and even enjoyable.
Today, I learned to sit still.....for 10 whole minutes...I sat. I closed my eyes and I breathed very deliberate, mindful breaths. I cleared my mind of the "gotta do-s." It was pleasant.

Off to mindfully cook dinner...lol

No comments: