Friday, April 1, 2011

Days 13-17 Lent Simplification.

This week I really focused on getting my kids back into their routines so I didn't have the time to blog daily...so I just figured I would give a quick overview of my progress.  I did try to keep up on the challenges,  and I plan to finish up some more this weekend.  I also can not find my camera.  I was taking pictures of the progress of the boys room renovation, put it down (big mistake!) and can't find it.  UGH!!!

Day 13 Challenge:Today, examine all of the projects you have not completed. To locate them, look into files, inside drawers, in closets, and under the bed. As they surface, make a list of things you promised yourself, or others, to do. Divide the list into Big Projects and Small Projects. See how many you can come up with in 30 minutes. Then ask yourself, "Which projects can be jettisoned? Which are a burden? Which ones are totally unrealistic? Which ones am I willing to start today? Finally, drop one project from your life and box up all its paraphernalia. You know what we are talking about --- paint sets, knitting needles, unread magazines, and plans for building a dome-shaped doghouse. Finally, place the supplies to be recycled in the trunk of your car. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 81)


                                    OR for serious simplifiers only...


Collect all your unfinished and unstarted projects. Next, toss your projects and the paraphernalia that goes with them. Who knows what new interests you may discover if you free yourself of the deadweight of old business. Remember how good it felt when you finished final exams and could throw out your notes? (30 Days to a Simpler LIfe, p. 85)


I have already done this when I moved the kids rooms around last year,  so this was not really a challenge for me.  I ended up saving my knitting needles and my crochet hooks....but I tossed EVERYTHING else...all scraps,  wool, etc.  I decided to start with a clean slate.  I always felt guilty buying new stuff for my projects because I had something else at home...but THEN,  I didn't want to DO any projects,  because I didn't want to put time into a craft or project that wasn't going to come out how I wanted it.  DILEMNA.  So,  by getting rid of it ALL,  I can get what I need one project at a time......solved!
 
DAY 14:
 
Today, go around your house with a shopping bag and fill it with outdated magazines, catalogues, newsletters, newspapers, brochures, and books. Put the magazines and books in the trunk of your car to be taken to the library or your health club. Put the rest in your recycle bin. Finally, make a pile of newsletters and clipped magazine articles that you intend to read immediately.



(30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 86)


DONE!  I put all the newspapers in the burn box,  catalogs I am keeping in the magazine rack,  and the rest...gone!



                                        OR for serious simplifiers only...

Go on a "Low-Information Diet." Say "No!" to extraneous information for one week. Just read what you must for your profession. Don't read irrevelant articles in magazines, newspapers, and newsletters. Avoid catalogues and self-improvement books. Shun the television. In your car, don't listen to radio shows or mind-bending tapes. Instead, play soothing music from tapes or CDs. Finally, dodge advertising where possible. Consume fewer info calories. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 92)


This one will be hard to do for me.  Avoid Catalogues???????  Don't think I can do it!In the car,  I put my radio station to the Christian Praise Music station....and I use my drive time for worship...nice.   Does Radical Homemakers count as a self improvement book????
 
DAY 15:
Today seek, sort, and organize the keys to everything in your life---cars, boats, bike locks, gates, sheds, houses, and offices. Purchase key labelers and rings and make duplicates, if needed. Finally, create a place just for keys. Install a rack or board with pegs or nails and label it so missing keys can be identified. This system works well for duplicate and seldom-used keys. For everyday keys, we have three suggestions: 1) Put a basket by the front door for family members to deposit their keys. 2) Hang a hook inside your entry door. 3) Provide each family member with his own complete set of keys.



(30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 93)


Okie Dokie....I think I can handle the household stuff...we are not really over run with keys.  BUT,  we need to come up with a better system than a "key" drawer for our clients keys.  It has worked forever,  but I would  prefer a "prettier" system.  Must talk to dh.....and work on this one over the weekend.



                                              OR for serious simplifiers only...
Systematize everything you do repeatedly. To find out what needs revamping, look for things you do randomly. Before you design a system, ask yourself, "Can I eliminate this routine completely?" Dropping a routine is the simplest system of all. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 100)

I am not really sure which routines this is talking about,  but I have been working on our family's routines.  I find my boys function so much better when they know "what comes next."  Hmmmmm....I do wish I know which types of routines they were suggesting to drop.

DAY 16:
Today, declutter your desktop and surrounding counters. Spend at least an hour sorting and tossing. Make your work space the most efficient area in your life. Clutter is especially annoying when it is on your desk or in your office. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 100)



Office is decluttered....have one TO DO pile...my filing is caught up....and I even tossed all my dried up pens.  I call that done!  Now I have to set up my schooling desk...getting ready to REALLY write out lesson plans  I also have to buy a new printer for the school room.  I dont like the file system for planning,  but I do use a modified workbox system that I love.  As I set up my schoolroom,  I must make sure I make my work area simple, usable, and effective.

                                     OR for serious simplifiers only...


Spend several hours ruthlessly editing your files. If you don't have a filing cabinet, but an inexpensive filing box to organize your important papers. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 110
I did this a few months ago...and it doesn't need re-doing...so I guess I don't have to worry about this one.  YAY!
 
DAY 17:
To simplify your computer life, make three piles: pile one, manuals; pile two, floppy discs and CD-ROMs; and pile three, registration materials and bills of sales. Read on to discover how to handle these piles. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 111)

Actually,  I keep these in my file cabinet.  Whenever we buy a new computer or hardware,  appliance etc,  I file the manual, cd-rom and any other related paperwork with it...that way it is always easy to find.
                                      OR for serious simplifiers only...

Keep your computer free of superfluous stuff. Delete programs you rarely use. Don't get lulled into buying new fonts, games, graphics, and utilities that you won't use. Frivolous program slow down computers and create clutter --- more CDs, more manuals, and more information to manage.

Hmmmmmmm........I don't have many programs,  but I have tons of homeschool downloads, pdf's, docs etc.  I would probably be able to use them more efficiently if I filed them better.....I am not sure I really want to spend the time to do that though.  LOL.

There is my week in simplifying!  I would say it was sort of successful.  Still didn't get to that school closet though!

Faithe



No comments: