Friday, January 29, 2010

Week in review 1/25-1/29

We actually finished all of our weeks work by Thursday this week ....and a good thig too, because Ding's car broke down last night on the NYS Thruway. So, we spent the day retrieving her poor car from the piratey tow truck drivers and over to our regular pirate....umnmmm....mechanic.
Elvis: Is still working at 1/2 pace after his bout of pneumonia. He is now taking another online class through Memoria Press entitled Understanding Music. This is a class in Music Theory. It is replacing my planned Geography class and he is really excited.
Dr Kazam (aka Smoosh) finished most of her book work, but was side tracked by some novels she "just had to finish." I was so happy she took the initiative to read, that I let her snuggle in the recliner and read to her hearts content. I didn't have the heart to tell her those were school books that were planned into her Spring semester...I'm no rat...LOL
Cubby and Ham are plugging away in their light units. We have also been reading The Little House series. We are now reading Little Town. I plan to put them aside after this one because they get too depressing. I think we will bein Alice In Wonderland. I need something a little more light and fun. It's nice that the 2 little hooligans are so intrigued by Pa and Laura...and that they have learned to sit for long periods of time while we do read alouds.
Post Homeschool Graduates and the Effect on Homeschool Families


Anyone else ever have that overwhelming feeling that something ain't right but you just can't put your finger on it? This week, I was going over some old photographs and I came across this one. Believe it or not, This was Ahha's first day of school...Ahha is my oldest one. Now when kids are little and you dress them up all pretty with their hair in ribbons and their new backpack, gym shoes and cardigan sweater and put them on that big yellow schoolbus, you recognize a big change coming. Your baby is growing up and your family will never be the same again. With homeschoolers, this changing of the guard is delayed and somewhat different. It is almost unidentifiable because the person leaving the nest is a full fledged (almost) adult and she is not going on the schoolbus, she has her own drivers license.


It took me 3 graduated homeschool students to realize that turning point in our lives (I am a slow bloomer.) It all goes back to that hot August day when Ahha got in that old Oldsmobile and drove to her first class. Our homeschool and our family has never truly been the same. There went my right hand, and my friend. There drove away years of hard work and sacrifice...down the road and into her own life...where she met her to-be husband and found a career that made her happy. Yes, I am still her Mama...but those days of lounging in bed reading stories or novels aloud...those days of us 3 girls Ahha, Mama and Ding baking or making a dinner for guests...changing baby diapers, cleaning up after our littlies, being entertained by little boy antics...those days are past. It took me 3 years to realize that our family was forever changed in that one day.


Something seems amiss and that thing is that our family which was one unit, is not unified any more. Those days are behind and now Dh and I need to figure out how all this parenting of adult children works...and again, they do not come with a guidebook. I miss my oldest dd and I miss Ding and Yuggie is now off to College as well...even though he is still living at home.


The older kids have become more like aunts and uncles to the youngers rather than friends and confidants. The little ones seem to have their own society, their own thing happening without the olders being a part of it.


I am not really sure what this post is truly about other than a little walk down memory lane and the sad spot in my heart that my family is not ONE as it used to be.


5 comments:

Daisy said...

Okay, now I'm blubbering. I can't even imagine what that day will be like. I only have two! It's going to happen far sooner than I expect. Sigh.

Mandy in TN said...

As my oldest moves toward graduating in May, I am already beginning to feel the loss. :-(

In his weekly update, I posted a picture of him when he was little.

Sydni said...

Oh! Very sad to think about. My oldest is almost 14. Time does go by too fast doesn't it? I try to make it go slow, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post. Any typos will be blamed on the teary eyes. ((hugs))

WildIris said...

You have a most beautiful family. Really, they are a handsome bunch.
What an awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My oldest son is gone and his brother is almost gone, and my girls seem to be growing up in a completely different family than the older boys. It is such a shift in perspective when the kids grow wings and leave.