Friday, March 11, 2011

Week in Review 3/7-3/11/11

This week was a catch up week....LOL.  I didn't plan much work and it is a GOOD thing I didn't.  Turned out dh was home much of the week...which is very unusual!  We had been talking about a big renovation,  beginning with shifting the kids rooms around a bit...so...DH decided it was time to begin.  We moved the big boys back into a small room....but decked it out with all their cool stuff!  Best part of it...I GET MY SCHOOLROOM BACK!!!!!  After having no schoolroom for the past 10 years ....TEN YEARS!!!!  I can not wait!    Designing it should be fun too!  .....

Anyway this week we finished up our Light Units that we had been working on.

Hammy finished up reading 204, LA 108 and section 2 of math 108.
Cubby finished up reading 308, LA 210 and section 2 of Math 302
Tallulah (aka Dr. Kazam) finished up Reading 704, LA 703 and began Math 606...3 lessons.

This was a very light workbook week...but we went heavy on our read alouds!  My absolutely favorite part of homeschooling is read aloud snuggle time...and no one is exempt!

We read tons this week.  I also implemented SOYBAR  (Sit on your Butt and READ) for 1/2 hour each afternoon.  My boys laugh so hard when i say..."OK everyone...Grab your book and SOYBAR!!!"  They have read so many books and magazines this week.  My little boys love Usborne books....they do not read cover to cover,  but love all the pictures and captions.  They make me dizzy..

So,  this week we finished the books we started last week...
Thomas Edison by Margeret Davidson (Landmark)
We were There at the Driving of the Golden Spike
and FINALLY finished Pagoo!  We read this book very slowly...one or two chapters a week ala CM.  The boys LOVE Holling C Holling and his books have inspired them.

We also went ice skating this week for the first time in years.  The boys were so cute falling all over the place,  but by the end of the session,  they were actually skating and having fun.

I  spent a good deal of time this week deciding what we were usig for school next year,  which will determine what we finish up this year.

I think I decided  we will spend an entire year onthe 20th century...that way Tallulah will begin a new 4 year cycle for 9th grade,  Cubby will be in 5th for ancients and Hammy will be old enough to do ancients as well.

For my little guys,  we will concentrate mostly on biographies of inventors and innovators, explorers, musicians and artists.  We will cover the wars and political upheavals in as gentle a manner as possible.  I will go deeper with Tallulah...she is not as sensitive as my older girls were at this age.  We will also study missions and missionaries of the 20th century.  As my plans become more concrete,  I will post them.

Have a great week....
Faithe

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a terrific week. I love SOYBAR. I am going to have to use that.

Heather said...

Love, love, LOVE SOYBAR. Much better than boring old "Quiet Reading Time!" I'm definitely going to borrow that one!

And I completely agree about read-alouds. :)

Monica said...

Have fun with your schoolroom! We have never been ice skating, that sounds fun.