Friday, March 25, 2011

Week in Review: 3/25

Well...this was a week of barf.  Poor kiddoes.....this was possibly the worst stomach bug my kids have ever had.....yuck!  We did manage to get some school in...lots of stories read....

We finished The Wind in the Willows.  Hammy LOVED it....LOVED!!!!
Hammy finished his CLE Grade 2 Book 1 CLE Reader Helping Hands. He also learned how to add and carry the 10's!  He is the first kid to just get it!  I love CLE math...and the gentle gradual way they teach new concepts. 

We read about "The Scramble for Africa."  and I had an AHHA!  Moment.

My moment:  For as long as I have been homeschooling,  I always begin our history lessons with the narrative part...and when I ask the kids for narrations,  the kids look at me like a deer in the headlights.  The night before our history day,  I was reading through the Kingfisher Encyclopedia to learn about The Scramble...I had never read about it before...and then I realized,  I needed the backround information in order to make the narrative make sense...(BIG HEADSLAP!)  So,  for our lesson,  I read our Kingfisher to them first...went over the timeline and map stuff...and THEN read SOTW....The kids were able to answer EVERY SINGLE NARRATION question.....So,  after 16 years...I am changing my method!  LOL.

I am making my final decisions on next years curricula...and will be posting on that one it all comes in.

DD wants to do History Odyssey,  but I am not sure about that.  I am drooling over TOG...AGAIN...but I KNOW it doesn't work for me. 

Oh...and I finally decided on Elemental Science...we shall see...LOL.

Faithe

No comments: